Thursday, May 28, 2009

Arrival...

Well I'm here now... let me just elaborate on how real this has become to me!  I have never done anything of this physical magnitude in my life!  I used to always wonder, "How can those people run that much?", "You're biking how long!?!", or "1000 meters, uh?  I don't think I can swim that far?"  Now I know...

I arrived @ Kona Airport around 4:15 pm (HST) after a greuling 30 minute flight! *Note: Sarcasm ;)  During the night before, the packing, and even the flight, I really didn't think much of anything.  Sure I was getting excited for the race, but I had no idea of what this course was going to look like, or feel like... until I trotted down the steps of the plane, which became a slow thud with each step as I looked at my "arena..."  KONA... it was not smiling back :(

This was taken with my phone when my dad picked me up from the airport as we were driving to pick up my cousins and sister from Hapuna beach on our way to Hilo.  Hapuna beach also happens to be where the race begins with the swim portion, so I thought I'd test the water while I was there... but on the WAY there and to Hilo, this was the lay of the land for the majority of the drive...  That is not a happy blue sky with a golden sunshine and lush grass.  THAT is a grey stew of clouds, heated precipitation, and vog (volcanic fog consisting of volcanic ash, glass, and debris from a recent grumble).  Those darker shaded areas in the distance are supposed to be mountains...?  Blanketed by the dimming eyes of Kona and the dry dessert grass is surrounded by black volcanic rock.  My first actions when stepping off the plane were lifting my sunglasses and looking at MY BIKE COURSE!  As I let out a faint "whistle" of astonishment, the reality of this race set in!  This was no spring walk through the park... this is big time... THIS IS WHAT I'VE TRAINED FOR!  As I glare into the valley of shadows, get ready ;)

* Please keep following my blogs as I keep you up to date on the days events during my final days to the 70.3 Ironman Hawaii... encouragement is always appreciated ;)  More to come tomorrow! Until then, Goodnight and God bless :D

No comments: